Treeking In Leh Ladakh
Leh Ladakh offers the terrain which is perfect for mountain climbing and trekking. Mountaineers from all over the world seek special packages having best of these two as the adrenaline rush experienced on conquering the great Himalayan heights is a great feeling. Here is a quick guide for trekking enthusiasts and mountain climbers who wish to visit Leh Ladakh region:
- Maps: It is advised to keep a map handy always. You can buy a trekking map from any of the local shops. However, if you are looking for a good quality map then you should buy one from the Ladakh Book Shop located above the SBI ATM in Leh.
- Best time: Best season for trekking is during July and August when there is sweet and soft sunshine bathing the mountains. But it doesn’t mean that you can’t trek in the winter months. You can try out the Chadar ice trek for example in the less harsh month of February with the right winter equipment on!
- Permit: Permits are required to climb/trek in Leh Ladakh region from the concerned authority. These permits/ approvals are obtained at some cost which depends upon individual characteristics of the trekking area/peak.
- Rest & getting used to the climate: In Leh Ladakh there is biting cold which can take a toll on your health if you undertake vigorous trek without taking rest prior to it. So taking rest is important. Also you can try out small treks to make your body adjust to the climate properly.
- Convenience factors: You can hire a horse for carrying your stuff as doing it yourself becomes quite a tedious task up on the heights. Also one more convenience factor is a lot many homestays situated in the trekking areas. These homestays offer an opportunity to the trekkers to delve into the living style and daily life of local residents..