Stok Monastery –Gompa Ladakh
Stok Monastery, listed as one of the most famous Gompas of Leh, is just 15 kilometers away from the main city. Once a royal residence of It is the place where the Royal family of LADAKH used to reside. (At present the Royal family resides in Manali and keep a low profile).
Stok Gompa is filled with golden royal orcades, it belongs to yellow – hat sect of Buddhism. Just situated above Stok Palace, it was founded in 14th century. Its walls are filled with original images of Vajrapani, Sakyamuni (Buddha), Tara(the Saviouress), Nangyamal and Amchi (Medicinal Buddha) and Avalokitesvara (with 1000 hands and 11 heads in the painting). It has a simple library filled with 108 volumes of Buddha teachings. The Chapel within the monastery is the oldest in entire Ladakh.
Stok Monastry attracts thousands of people each year in its world famous Guru – Tse – Chu Festival. Filled with dance and music, it’s the one of the best held festivals around of Buddhists!
- Stok Gompa has got original images of Vajrapani, Sakyamuni (Buddha), Tara(the Saviouress), Nangyamal and Amchi (Medicinal Buddha) and Avalokitesvara which happens to evoke interest as well as amusement amongst its visitors.
- The Library of Stok Monastery has got some of the rarest scripts of Buddhist teachings which can be read with prior permission.
- Guru – Tse – Chu dance and music festival is a wonderful experience not be missed. Held every year in the month of February – March, it’s a must to go for!
- Best Time to Visit: February – March/May - June
- Traveller’s advise: Book your hotel months before is you intend to experience the Guru – Tse – Chu festival as the world comes to see it!