Shanti Stupa Monastery – Greater Leh
Japanese Monasteries are an art in themselves to see! Take a few steps and one can feel the difference. Resonating in Gold from every nook and corner, Shanti Stupa is brightly coloured with reliefs in its middle levels. What makes this place much more beautiful is the stunning view of Greater Leh Valley from here. Topped by white hemisphere; it was built in the year 1991 to promote World peace.
- Very near to the city, Shanti Stupa Monastery offers many reasons to stay here for a week. First is the natural beauty itself; so don’t forget to ring along your lenses to capture the timeless beauty!
- Go for Trekking (Yama Adventures ) especially if you are here in summers. Ladakhi Women’s Travel Company offers trekking only to women. Men group is allowed only if there is a women in the group. So, if it’s a women’s group; go for this one only! Cycling too is a good option.
- Best adventure sports which can be done here include Kayaking, river rafting and mountaineering. Jeep Safaris too are thrilling experiences to enjoy!
- Shop at Moti Market, eat and dine at Grill & Curry, Bon Appetit and Zen Garden (known for Night Life).
- Travellers Advice: Keep your Permits, medicines and handy oxygen cylinder (If you have breathing problem) in your backpack all the time! If you wish to try to converse in Tibetan and Ladakhi language, go for Rebecca Norman’s “Getting Started in Ladakhi” – which includes Cultural tips! INR 300/-.