Diskit Monastery - Ladakh
Diskit Monastery happens to be in one of the most beautiful valleys of Ladakh, North India. Nubra Valley which is world – known for its natural beauty, envelopes in itself Diskit Monastery! With 100 Buddhist Monks living inside the monastery, it has got one of the most awesome idols of Buddha. Called Maiterya Buddha; this 32 feet high idol (with 8 kgs of real Gold), faces Shyok river (another natural beauty) towards Pakistan! Constructed with 3 fold thought in mind, the statue refers to protection of Diskit Village; Prevention of war with Pakistan and promote world peace! One can see the Glorious views of entire Nubra Vallery from the roof top of this amazingly beautiful Monastery! Being here also means being a part of Dosmoche or Festival of Scapegoat (in the month of February) which is held here only! And of course, Nubra Valley in itself is a charm to be in – as you do some of the most exciting things here like – Camel Safari!
- Diskit is Nubra Valley’s biggest settlement, so you find some of the best guest house of Ladakh here. These are filled with Nepalese and Tibetan paintings and architecture – something to look out for.
- Sand Dune Hotel: Sparkling clean guest house which is at walkable distance from the market. Good place to stay in for cool and romantic evening walks. For explorers too, it’s a good place to be in!
- Dosmoche Festival and Camel Safari: These two are not to be missed out! Pre – book your slots for Camel Safari!
- Best Time to Visit: May – June
- Travellers Advice: Keep a pack of most required medicines with you!